Monday, May 4, 2009

A Note For First Time Visitors


Welcome. Thanks for stopping by. My name is Lisa. I’m a single mom with a 12 year old Portuguese Water Dog and a 9 year old daughter I adopted from China. I started this blog this past March -- and had no idea the places it would take me, or the response it would elicit. For me it’s a chance to share everyday stories. I write about parenting, adoption, life, love, and loss. I write about the big moments, the ones that touched me or shifted my world. I write about the little moments, the ones that caught my breath or gave me pause.

The more I write, the more some of my favorite (or hardest won) posts get buried. To give you a sense of us and our journey, here are a few highlights and pointers:

Why a "Pack?"
A brief introduction to who we are as a family and how I came up with the name, Pack of Three.

Shifting Gears
How I left behind life as a professionally manic work-a-holic, and started the pack, beginning with an 8 week old Portuguese Water dog.

Puppy Tales
A funny, zany look back on my trial run as a new “mom,” trying to rein in an 8 week old Portuguese Water Dog pup. (If the Obamas had only known!)

An Adoption Paradox
As my 9 year old daughter struggles with her losses, I realize, to strengthen our bond, I must loosen my grip and make room for the mother and life she misses.

A Day in the Life of a Single Mom
Every mom has those days where, the harder you try to pull it together, the more things come undone – sometimes in the most relentlessly humbling, hilarious way.

How I Came to My Decision
After I did the research and mulled the idea over (and over,) how I finally came to my decision to adopt my daughter from China.

Warriors
The heartstopping moment my beautiful, angst ridden daughter confesses a deep-seated fear: did I steal her from China?

Of Loss and Joy and Desiring
To show my daughter I've nothing to hide, we sit down and review her adoption papers – and confront the hardest truth of all.

Two Mothers
My daughter regains some of her old bounce. Life returns to normal but then, she shares a strange dream.

Car Pool
Carpool comments that have taken me by surprise: a few favorites.

Half a World Away
How girls, sadly, came to be available for adoption from China, in such numbers, and how that dynamic today has changed.

One Small Step After Another
Having just processed the hardest parts of her story, my daughter is asked to write an essay for school. The third grade has just studied tales of the Oregon Trail and the teacher suggests an essay: How My Family Came West. My daughter writes, How I Came East.

Thanks again for stopping by Pack of Three. I welcome email and comments.

4 comments:

Special K said...

A friend sent me a link to your blog. I have to say that reading back through it I felt like I was holding a mirror up to myself.... except that I'm still waiting for my daughter from China. But eventually I'm also going to be a pack of 3 with my 9 yr old Pomeranian son and the arrival of my Mia.

Love your writing style and your honesty. I'll be following... :)

Lisa @ Pack of Three said...

Welcome Special K. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments. Best of luck to you in your wait. Even the smallest of packs can produce a passel of love. :)

Lauri said...

I discovered your blog on your post to the Adoptive Parents China Yahoo list. I just read all of your posts, and they're wonderful. My husband and I are waiting for our referral of a little girl from China (we might be next!). Your writing gives me insight into the types of issues we will face at some point. Thank you for your generosity and eloquence. I hope I will have as much grace as you when the time comes.

Beckett Franklin Gray said...

I love this blog. So refreshing. Thanks for stopping by mine.